- Memory: 256 MB (the more main storage is available the bigger are the pictures and mosaics that can be constructed.)
- Processor: the capacity of the processor is in principal irrelevant for the functioning of the software. The more powerful the processor is the faster the algorithms work to generate the mosaic.
- Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixel (Windows and Linux), 1280x854 pixel (Mac OS)
- Interpreter: Sun Java Virtual Machine (Runtime Environment) from version 5.0 (Download from www.java.com)
Supported operating systems
- Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003
- Mac OS X ab 10.4 (Tiger)
JAVA Virtual Machine
PictoBrick is a software in JAVA bytecode. To use PicToBrick you need a runtime environment – the JAVA Virtual Machine (in short JAVA VM or JVM) from version 5 (Sometimes you find the version number 1.5 on these versions! The versions 5 and 1.5 are identical.) The JVM is used as interface between PicToBrick and the operating system of your computer.
The JVM is gratis for all current operation systems. We recommend the original JVM of Sun (Download from www.java.com)
In case you should not know if there is a JVM installed on your computer or if you do not know the version, you can easily find out by the console command java -version (How to open a console in your operating system is explained beneath.)
Download practicable EXE-file (only Windows)
- pictobrick_win.zip (Version 1.0)
- In the Zip file you will find a directory with a executable EXE-file.
- We recommend to store this directory under C:\Programs and to build a shortcut with the above-mentioned EXE-file.
- Attention: This Windows version of PicToBrick is reduced to a memory size of 256 MB. That means only a maximum of 256 MB are available for the JAVA Virtual Machine at run. Especially with big picture files or big mosaics that can cause a system crash. In this case use the below-mentioned console version of PicToBrick. Here the guaranteed memory size is adjustable.
Download practicable program (only Mac OS)
- pictobrick_mac_1_0_1.zip with BugFix for Mac OSX 10.4.11
- In the Zip file you will find a executable file.
- We recommend to store this file in the directory programs.
- Attention: This Mac version of PicToBrick is reduced to a memory size of 256 MB. That means only a maximum of 256 MB are available for the JAVA Virtual Machine at run. Especially with big picture files or big mosaics that can cause a system crash. In this case use the below-mentioned console version of PicToBrick. Here the guaranteed memory size is adjustable.
Download JAR-archive and start over console
- pictobrick_jar.zip (Version 1.0)
- In the Zip file you will find a executable JAR-archive.
- To assure enough memory for the JVM when booting up PicToBrick you must call up PicToBrick over a console:
- start console with Windows: start - run - type cmd - OK
- start console with Mac OS: finder - program - service program - terminal
- start console with Linux: depending on distribution
- In the console start PicToBrick by:
java -jar -Xmx512m PATH\pictobrick.jar
- Instead of 512 you should indicate your actually disposable memory size. The JVM will not block up the complete memory, but can use memory up to this upper limit for PicToBrick if necessary.
- For the letters PATH you must indicate the complete system path to Jar file.
- If you want to start PicToBrick on a Windows PC with a memory of 1GB (= 1024 MB) e.g. and the PicToBrick Jar file can be found in a directory PicToBrick in the directory programs on hard disk C, you will use the following run/starting command:
java -jar -Xmx1024m C:\Programs\PicToBrick\pictobrick.jar (example)
Download source code
Last modified on 2013/12/01 - Copyright 2006-2012 - Tobias Reichling, Adrian Schütz
XHTML 1.0 Validator, CSS Validator, optimal representation in Mozilla Firefox